Elections Bring New UMN Alums to Congress and MN Legislature
With the results of Tuesday's election, the new number of University of Minnesota alumni State Legislators is 47. The number of alumni State Senators remains the same at 19, while the number of alumni State Representatives decreased from 33 to 28. There is also a new UMN alum in Congress, while others ascend to different statewide or local offices. Congrats to all our UMN alums serving in elected office around the country, and thanks to the UM Alumni Association for compiling this data.
The following alumni are new to the Minnesota State Legislature:
- Rep-elect Dave Lislegard (B.A. '07)
- Rep-elect Ami Wazlawik (B.A. '09, M.A. '12)
- Rep-elect Patty Acomb (B.S. '97)
- Rep-elect Ryan Winkler (J.D. '01) - former legislator
- Rep-elect Heather Edelson (M.A. '09)
- Rep-elect Anne Clafin (M.S. '11)
Other alumni elected to Congress or State-wide office:
- Dean Phillips (M.B.A. '00) was elected to the 3rd Congressional District, currently occupied by U.S. Rep. Erik Paulsen.
- State Rep. Ilhan Omar (HHH Policy Fellow '15) was elected to the 5th Congressional District, currently occupied by U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison.
- State Rep. Peggy Flanagan (B.A. '02) became Lt Gov-elect and the highest elected indigenous person in the United States.
- U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison (J.D. '90) was elected to the Office of Minnesota Attorney General.
- Sec. Steve Simon (J.D. '96) was re-elected to the Office of Minnesota Secretary of State.