Pillsbury Hall Capital Renewal
Renovate one of the Twin Cities campus’s oldest and most iconic buildings to provide modern teaching, learning, and research spaces, promote collaborative learning, and bolster undergraduate education for more than 6,000 students.
State request: $24 million
University investment: $12 million
Total project costs: $36 million
Convert a 60,000-square-foot, obsolete science building into a humanities center
- Create flexible, multipurpose classrooms and collaborative spaces equipped with media systems
- Upgrade the building’s systems to comply with current standards and codes
- Increase accessibility throughout the building
- Preserve the building’s historic exterior
- Create new research and learning opportunities in journal editing, video making, digital storytelling, website building, and web-based research
- Advance students’ understanding of Minnesota’s grand challenges
- Foster collaboration in spaces that are more cost effective and require less relative investment than the building’s currently mismatched science uses
- Centralize the Department of English
- Renew a historic, iconic campus building
- Enable the continued growth of computer science and industrial and systems engineering programs by freeing up space in Lind Hall currently occupied by the Department of English.